LRT3 Package GS07&08, Klang Valley
- The Light Rail Transit 3 (LRT3) is the largest light rail project in Malaysia to date.
- The largest package for its construction, Package GS07&08, with a total length of 9.2km and 6 stations, was awarded to SunCon.
- The alignment for Package GS07&08 passes through the royal city of Klang, one of the oldest cities in Malaysia with a high population density and heavy traffic.
- The alignment was constructed along road medians, and the elevated portions traversed above live traffic, a cemetery and KTMB tracks, among others, presenting a challenging site condition and therefore proper traffic management and lifting plans were essential during construction to ensure safety and smooth flow of work.
- Construction time was expedited with the use of advanced technology, such as U-trough and precast elements, including precast pier caps.
- The LRT3 is the first railway project in Malaysia that deployed U-trough technology, which allows components for the construction of viaducts to be precast in a centralised, controlled site and the spans lifted into place using cranes.
- Construction also involved 2.5m-3.0m diameter caisson piles ranging from 15m-23m in depth located on slopes and along existing slip roads with limited working space for heavy and large machinery, eg. piling rigs and cranes.
- Malaysian Society for Occupational Safety and Health (MSOSH) Occupational Safety and Health (OSH) Award 2018 – Gold Class I Award.